Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I realized that I still had some pictures to post...so after a year and a half of everyone patiently waiting, here are my new posts!

So, there we were like any other day driving back to our home in Rehoboth waiting at the lights in Taunton center, when I looked over to see the inscription on the monument that said, "A Signer of the Declaration of Independence". That's all I needed to see. I jumped out of the car and Melanie took this stunning picture...maybe not so stunning.


His name is Robert Treat Pain from Taunton,MA. So what makes him so special...well he was tutored by Mr Lovell who taught John Adams and John Hancock...not a shabby tutor. The "Lives of the Signers" 1848 reprint says that "Young Paine entered Harvard college at the age of 14 and graduated with usual honors"...usual honors...what boy, age 14, today is graduating from Harvard with "usual" honors. He was a member of the Provincial Congress in Mass. However, most of his life was spent as a judge serving next to John Adams and then as the Attorney General of Mass for many years.

Another amazing founding father!


No comments: